An Obscure Place
Welcome to the home page of Timothy Ballan. If you came here without knowing much about me, I am a writer (as well as a pianist, piano teacher, and youth worker) whose creative focuses include instrumental music, philosophy, poetry, and (often plotless) short stories. This site currently hosts samples of my work in these and other areas.
So why the title "An Obscure Place"? Well, it was the original title of a story I've written that is rather representative of my penchant for following strange, absurd, and obscure paths in my creative endeavors. It is about a boy's journey into a nonsense realm, where he learns many interesting philosophical truths. (I also have written a score to accompany reading of the story!) This story, now titled "A Possible World", is included in the book "Stories and Poems from Underground" available for purchase on Scribd.com.
While you're here, feel free to link to:
- My Youtube page (which hosts many absurdist videos I've created, along with serious [and non-serious] musical performances)
- My Flickr page (which hosts many curious but knowingly non-professional drawings, paintings, and photos)
This site is updated often, so check back again soon if you wish. Hopefully you'll find this place to be a pleasant diversion, even just for a one-time visit.
- My Scribd page (which houses some poetry, stories, philosophy, and written music of mine)
- 4/10/18: Added a link to the webpage of Sing for Hope, a NYC-based volunteer-led music performance organization I have begun to partner with.
- 3/1/18: Added a link to a new short, illustrated philosophical work that summarizes my book, A Relatively Detailed Outline of a Carefully Constructed, Overarching Worldview.
- 1/21/18: Added links to two new musical works, including a score to the new film, Vicious Circles and Infinity.
- 12/31/17: Added a link to a new large-scale philosophical work accompanied by illustrations.
- 9/13/17: Added a link to a new philosophical essay.
- 3/24/17: Reformatted the site.
- 12/5/16: Added a link to pictures of my private world instruments collection.
- 11/15/16: Added links to two new pieces I've recently written.
- 11/4/16: Added a link to the third film I've scored, Thicker than Water, by Thomas Matthew Campbell.
- 5/27/16: Added a link to a suite of the music from my third film score. The film is Thicker than Water, by Thomas Matthew Campbell.
- 1/31/16: Added a link to a new musical piece and cleaned up the look of some of the links on the site.
- 11/24/15: Added a new page "Other Works", where I've added links to a video I've made along with a strange short illustrated book.
- 11/15/15: Added links to two new musical pieces.
- 10/12/15: Added a link to a video I put together with an original score.
- 8/23/15: Added a link to a new humorous book I've written. I added this link onto the "creative writing" page, a new page combining two old pages: the old "poetry" page and the old "stories" page.
- 8/8/15: Added links to three new compilations of poetry, vignettes, and stories.
- 8/4/15: Added links to three new philosophical works.
- 7/17/15: Updated samples of poetry on poetry page.
- 7/15/15: Updated a good amount of the site with many links to new works of mine.
- 1/11/15: Added a link to my Bandcamp page.
- 1/7/15: Added a link to my SoundCloud page.
- 9/22/14: Updated the "music" page with many new links to newly-composed pieces of mine.
- 6/9/14: Added a link to my recently-completed book on philosophy, on the "philosophy" page.
- 2/12/14: Added samples of my poetry on the "poetry" page.
- 2/10/14: Put up most of site.
I do not produce the work I do directly for profit. However, if you enjoy any of my work, please consider making a small donation to help me continue to produce the work that I do.